Automated mobile UI testing is very important when it comes to the success of the application. However there are certain myths prevailing to the automated testing procedures which slogs the process and makes people afraid of the procedure. However, these myths are not true on any account as they are superficial. A deep look on the automated testing process will make them disappear.
- Speed: It is a common myth of most of the people related to the IT industry that automated testing takes up a lot more time than manual testing. On one hand this fact is true to some extent manual testing does produce faster results when testing mobile UI but only in the initial stages. With repeated testing you either need to add more testing features or diminish the quality of testing. Whereas with automated testing you get to run the same level of testing every time, ultimately saving time on the long run.
- Coverage: Newer android devices are being released almost every single day in the current days. Hence the number of apps of these operating systems is outstanding. Including this there are more operating systems like the iOS which has even more apps which are being made for daily use. Maintaining a hand load of tools for manual testing of all these apps becomes very difficult and supplying them to the testers whenever and wherever needed becomes a headache. However in case of automated testing only maintaining a cloud server would suffice. With the help of automated testing complete test coverage of apps is possible.
- Cost: Yes! Automated testing of apps costs much more than manual testing. But this fact holds true only when the tests are kept to the bare essentials of the app. As and when the environment of the app gets complicated and as does the software itself, manual testing becomes much more expensive as you need more sophisticated tools for the optimum test results. Also with more sophisticated tools for the testing you need an advanced staff who can manage these tools and it will need training them to do so. Thus manual testing ultimately becomes costlier compared to automated one.
- Consistency: In case of manual testing there is always room for perception which varies from tester to tester and depends hugely on the test that is being considered as well as the app and the environment along with the operating system which the application is based on. When you are applying manual tests on the software there is room for holes through which some bugs may pass out and it is only good enough to detect the basic bugs. Automated testing on the other hand runs on scripts with no room for perception which makes it a full proof one.
- Reluctance: Automated testing replaces human. Not True! Automated testing only helps in betterment of the manual testers. Automated tests do provide automated results time after time with maximum accuracy, why do you need a human? But automated testing to requires writing of scripts and planning the whole test procedures. This in turn requires human. Automated testing procedure helps in saving time as well as money so that you can utilize these resources for the betterment of the manual testing procedures or to develop better tools and to advance the already existing automated testing procedures.
These are some of the most persistent myths that prevail in the automated testing industry which needs to be busted as soon as possible in order for the betterment of the automated testing of mobile UI.